Global & Disaster Medicine

Avalanche survivor: “….Giorgia, a student, was sitting on a couch in the lobby of the hotel with her fiance, Vincenzo Forti, 25, when the avalanche hit. “Everything crumbled and I could not understand a thing,” she told Italy’s Corriere della Sera. When she came round, she realised that the lobby had turned into a dome with four caverns. She thought the hotel had been displaced and planted deeper into the earth. “It was pitch dark. Not a sound came from outside. Our voices echoed.” She heard a woman who called for her fiance, and another man from Rome who had injured his arm and was in pain. A mother who had her boy with her and hugged him close whilst calling out to locate her daughter. “All the children behaved really well, I never heard them crying, ” Giorgia says. She did, however, many times. And she was full of praise towards her fiance, “who never had any doubt”. “He supported us all. Sometimes he would hum a song to soothe us.” Giorgia told how they had had nothing to eat. “Nothing. The only thing we ate was ice. We had a lot and this kept us going.” “I lost count of time, and still haven’t got it back. But I think it lasted two days, maybe a bit more,” Georgia said. In all, she was trapped for 58 hours. At 11:00 (10:00 GMT) on Friday, a mechanical sound was heard, then human voices. To which she replied: “I am Giorgia, and I am alive.” “It was the most beautiful thing I’ve ever said.”…..”

BBC

Categories

Recent Posts

Archives

Admin