Global & Disaster Medicine

Angiostrongylus cantonensis_ infection: Two case reports

Wang H, Lu L, She D, et al. Eating centipedes can result in
_Angiostrongylus cantonensis_ infection: Two case reports and pathogen
investigation. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2018. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.18-0151.




Case One:  “…..A 78-year-old woman was admitted to Zhujiang Hospital,Guangzhou,China,on November22,2012.She had been suffering from a moderate headache, somnolence, and cognitive impairment for several weeks, with no fever or vomiting. The patient said she had not sustained any recent trauma, been exposed to toxins, or consumed raw sea food or aquatic products. Physical examination revealed slight neck stiffness…… Further questions about the patient’s history showed that she had eaten centipedes without cooking them on several occasions……”

Case Two:  “…..A 46-year-old male was admitted to Zhujiang Hospital in Guangzhou, China, on December 14, 2012. The patient’s main complaint was a mild headache that had lasted for more than 20 days. He experienced no seizures, changes in consciousness, paralysis, vomiting, or fever.  The sole obvious focal neurologic sign was neck rigidity.  He had also consumed raw centipedes….”

Comments are closed.


Recent Posts