UT College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics News

Read the First Read Book!

Posted by Rosaline Cordova
July 29, 2011

For the past few months I have had the pleasure of sitting on the First Read Committee as the student representative. Honestly, I was excited to help pick out the new first read book because I have enjoyed reading the first read book for the past two years, but I have to say I’m not a “reader,” so I wasn’t all too excited about actually reading the book. After we chose Everything Matters I was gently forced into reading the book by Jim Zubricky and Jennifer Rockwood, who sit on the committee, because they wanted my advice for the assignments that the committee created for the orientation classes. So, I began reading the book, and the beginning is a little weird (ok, maybe a lot weird), but the first half of the book awkwardly entertains you. But once you get to the second half of the book, this is where I honestly could not put it down, you are fully engaged by suspense, and the author even manages to grab ahold of your heart strings. With out giving away too much… You meet Junior as a fetus and the Voices start talking to him, and they tell him that the end of the world will happen when he is 36. The story continues to develop as Junior gets older, as he goes through awkward school phases, meets his first love Amy, the trials and tribulations of young adulthood, and all the way to adulthood. The author keeps you engaged by giving different points of view from the characters and their perspectives of their life, none of whom know that the world is going to end. The book takes a turn about 1/2 to 2/3 the way through and this is the part that really grabs you. Ahh! trust me I want to explain it to you, but if I do it either gives away the whole story or you will hate me for telling you what happens when you read it yourself. Just trust me, this first read book is the best first read book since I was a freshman. I am totally looking forward to all of the fun programming that the FYE program has in store for the new Rockets and UT community. I hope that everyone chooses to read Everything Matters! I never understood how books bring people together, but seriously I think this book could definitely spark interesting conversation and bring people together. I know from reading it, the message of the book definitely inspired me and has given me a new perspective on life.

So what are you waiting for? Go pick up a copy at the bookstore or online or borrow a copy, and read the book! Listen: Everything ends, everything matters.

Happy reading!