UToledo School of Visual and Performing Arts

Alumni Branden Cobb to pursue law school with entertainment focus

Branden Cobb (Alumnus of UT Film 2010) will be heading to law school in Fall 2012. He has been accepted to the Maurice A. Deane School of Law at Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY. He liked the school’s program because it offers a law degree with an entertainment focus.

Here’s more from Branden on what he’s learned and where he’s been since he graduated:

“The most important piece of knowledge I have learned in the film and television industry is to keep an open mind and think outside of the box. The entertainment world is forever changing. As students, you learn how film started. Then you study the path it took to modern day. There were a lot of changes during that time – sound, color etc. Changes have not slowed down and maybe you as a student can develop what is next. As far as watching new films, there was VHS, then DVD. Netflix had and still has its wave.  EPIX and Netflix agreed to the ‘billion dollar deal’ that you can read about online if you would like. Deals like these change the way people view their movies. Lately, many have turned to Redbox.

If mainstream media is your desire, what can you do to help? There are a lot of good filmmakers, but they do not always get the credit they deserve. Find a niche and go with it. I picked up a second major in Public Relations in order to help myself and others get noticed.

Interning with MTV Networks in Time Square, New York City after my second year at the University of Toledo helped further my promotional production knowledge. Buckeye Cable Sports Network helped tone production skills during my last semester as an undergraduate.

While interning with EPIX at Paramount Studios in Hollywood, I gained a higher respect for television scripts. We were pitched shows by writers, agents, etc and I learned the skills of managing an office.

During a stint promoting others in Hollywood, I took a lady who won a dance competition administered by Ryan Seacrest and applied her to red carpet events. I escorted her at the Beverly Hills Film Festival After-Party.

Especially in mainstream media, it is ultimately a business. There are many talented people and then there are the people who have experience with what sells and decides what makes air. In order to improve communication, there are agents, managers, publicists, etc who help bridge the gap between these people.

During a recent stint in Los Angeles, I managed a yacht charter shop that provided two boats for a UCLA graduate student production. Most of this last year, I worked a traditional 9 – 5 in Denver, Colorado. Also, if anyone from the department, student or faculty, is in the NYC area and would like to meet for coffee or would like advice on getting around, I will do my best to make that happen.”

Congratulations, Branden, and keep us posted on what you’re up to!

is Promotions Specialist, College of Arts and Letters, The University of Toledo
Email this author | All posts by