Global & Disaster Medicine

Archive for the ‘Angiostrongylus cantonensis’ Category

Five Thai migrant workers have been found to be suffering from parasites that can cause meningitis or even blindness after eating raw snails

Focus Taiwan

“…..Angiostrongylus cantonensis is mainly found in uncooked snails and slugs, as well as contaminated water sources and lettuce, according to the CDC. The parasite commonly invades the brain and spinal cord, causing various neurological symptoms.

Patients often suffer from meningitis, commonly leading to acute sever headaches. Fever, vomiting, nausea, neck pain and stiffness are some of the other symptoms seen, and the parasite can even cause blindness if it invades a person’s eyeball.….”

Tsai HC1, Chen YS, Yen CM. Human parasitic meningitis caused by
_Angiostrongylus cantonensis_ Infection in Taiwan. Hawaii J Med Public
Health. 2013; 72(6 Suppl 2): 26-7; available at
<https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3689489/>


Hawaii: Rat lungworm disease has increased in severity.

Hawaii Tribune-Herald

“…..[the worries of]  global warming and the possibility East
Hawaii’s rat lungworm problem will spread as the range of infested
snails grows on the mainland in the years ahead.

Angiostrongylus cantonensis Lifecycle

 


Categories

Recent Posts

Archives

Admin