Archive for the ‘Tsunami’ Category
WEAK53 PAAQ 220440
Tsunami Information Statement Number 1
NWS National Tsunami Warning Center Palmer AK
840 PM PST Sat Jan 21 2017
…THIS IS A TSUNAMI INFORMATION STATEMENT FOR ALASKA, BRITISH
COLUMBIA, WASHINGTON, OREGON AND CALIFORNIA…
* There is no tsunami danger for the areas listed above.
* Based on the depth of the earthquake a tsunami
is not expected.
* An earthquake has occurred with parameters listed below.
PRELIMINARY EARTHQUAKE PARAMETERS
* The following parameters are based on a rapid preliminary
assessment and changes may occur.
* Magnitude 8.0
* Origin Time 1930 AKST Jan 21 2017
2030 PST Jan 21 2017
0430 UTC Jan 22 2017
* Coordinates 6.1 South 155.2 East
* Depth 104 miles
* Location near the Solomon Islands
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND NEXT UPDATE
* Refer to the internet site ntwc.arh.noaa.gov for
* Pacific coastal regions outside California, Oregon,
Washington, British Columbia and Alaska should refer to the
Pacific Tsunami Warning Center messages at ptwc.weather.gov.
* This will be the only U.S. National Tsunami Warning center
message for this event unless additional information becomes
“….it took about half an hour for the waves to reach the shoreline. A three-foot tsunami hit the coast of Soma, 185 miles up the coast from Tokyo, a little more than an hour after the temblor, and another 4.6-foot tsunami washed ashore at Sendai, another 40 miles north, an hour later. This was the largest tsunami in that region since the 30-foot tsunami of 2011……
As of 7:39AM local time, there were 150 people at 5 evacuation centers…… Five minor injuries have been reported. The cooling equipment for a reactor at the No. 2 power plant at Fukushima, Fukushima Daini stopped working, but resumed functioning at 7:47AM local time…… (Fukushima Daini is not the plant that caused a nuclear disaster after being damaged by the 2011 quake and tsunami…..”
** All 22 early warning tsunami buoys placed in Indonesian waters following the 2004 tsunami no longer work because of theft and vandalism.Friday, March 4th, 2016
** “……Indonesia’s 17,000 islands are especially prone to earthquakes because the country straddles the Ring of Fire, an arc of fault lines and volcanoes that causes frequent seismic upheavals. At least 160,000 people were killed on Sumatra Island as a result of the 9.1 magnitude earthquake and subsequent tsunami on Boxing Day in 2004…..”